Tuesday, November 18, 2008

some deep thought

My good friend Erin posted this poem in her blog...and it made me cry, so i am passing it on...Not often does poetry touch me in a way this one did..and when i was reading it, i wasnt envisioning a tree...i was envisioning the way i was left bare and alone when my marriage ended, and what it took for me to truly see the man that was standing right by my side...i just love it

THE SACRAMENT OF WAITING
~ Macrina Wiederkehr


Slowly
she celebrated the sacrament of letting go.
First she surrendered her green,
then the orange, yellow, and red
finally she let go of her brown.
Shedding her last leaf
she stood empty and silent, stripped bare.
Leaning against the winter sky
she began her vigil of trust.

Shedding her last leaf
she watched its journey to the ground.
She stood in silence
wearing the color of emptiness,
her branches wondering;
How do you give shade with so much gone?

And then,
the sacrament of waiting began.
The sunrise and sunset watched with tenderness.
Clothing her with silhouettes
they kept her hope alive.

They helped her understand that
her vulnerability,
her dependence and need,
her emptiness,
her readiness to receive
were giving her a new kind of beauty.
Every morning and every evening they stood in silence
and celebrated together
the sacrament of waiting.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Very lovely poem Tara, a perfect analogy of the uneasiness of letting go of the old to make way for hope in new beginnings, such as Winter opens her arms to Spring. Absolutely beautiful!

Erin S. said...

:-) It is one of those rare poems that kicks you right in the gut...but a good kind of kicking. :-) I read a lot and rarely has anything moved me like this one did. I felt the same way after reading this as I did after I read The Road Not Taken and Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost, sooo many years ago.

Tara S. said...

those are some of my favorites Erin!! the road not taken is like my 2nd favorite poem...i grew up reading robert frost!